March 20, 2016

The Pixar Points #25: A Pixar Fan's Thoughts on 'Tomorrowland'

Hi everybody! Time for another Pixar Points, where I look at a topic in the Pixar fandom and give my opinion on it. Brad Bird is an amazing director and his best work is definitely in animation with three of his current lineup on films being animated and two of those (The Incredibles and Ratatouille) were made at Pixar. But recently he has gone out of his animated norm at has brought us Mission Impossible 4 (which I haven't seen yet) and last year's Tomorrowland which is the movie we are gong to be taking about today and giving my thoughts on it.

This movie isn't the first time a Pixar director has tried going into live action, with Andrew Stanton going into LA with John Carter, which is known for being a big box office bomb and not doing so well with critics. A similar thing can be said about this movie, it didn't do too good in theaters and wasn't received too good with the reviewers. But know that I've seen the movie on Blu-ray it's time for me to review it for myself!
 
Right away this is clearly a Disney movie, but it doesn't feel like a forced advertisement for the theme park of the same name it shows what people love about the Disney company and not just a company that wants money. The movie constantly has Disney references and other sci-fi in-jokes and they are lovely put in there.
Other elements of movie that I like are George Clooney's character, the sci-fi elements, and some really powerful scenes. But their are some elements I don't like.
 
My biggest problem with the movie is the message, which is gets really preachy. It's a good message but they really hammer it in, especially in the last act where they basically look at the camera and tell the audience and say the whole lesson. But that's my only big flaw, their are some small flaws, but they are "spoilery" and I don't want to say what happens for those who have never seen it.
So that was my personal thoughts on the movie were and I actually really liked it, sure the message is really annoying at some points but it is mostly a good experience. I would recommend this movie for Brad Bird fans, sci-fi fans, Disney fans, and of course Pixar fans. See you next time!
 
What do you think of Tomorrowland?
 
Next Time on Pixar Points: A Look at Pixar's Trailers and Their Importance

No comments: